Sunday 6 January 2013

Book Review - Pushing The Limits

Title: Pushing the Limits
Author: Katie McGarry
Series: Pushing the Limits (book 1)
Publisher: MIRA Ink
Release Date: 31 July 2012
ISBN13: 9781848450776

Synopsis
They say be a good girl, get good grades, be popular. They know nothing about me. I can’t remember the night that changed my life. The night I went from popular to loner freak. And my family are determined to keep it that way. They said therapy was supposed to help. They didn’t expect Noah. Noah is the dangerous boy my parents warned me about. But the only one who’ll listen. The only one who’ll help me find the truth. I know every kiss, every promise, every touch is forbidden. But what if finding your destiny means breaking all the rules? A brave and powerful novel about loss, change and growing up, but most of all love.

My Review
I first saw this on NetGalley and thought it looked interesting. I got a copy through them but I didn't get it read before the document expired. However about a week later a copy of it came in new at the library so I grabbed it. I still prefer to read physical books - I just find it easier. However I then put it in my locker and sort of forgot about it. I cleared out my shelf ready for the holiday and found it again and brought it home to go in my holiday reading. 
To be honest this isn't my typical read. I do enjoy a bit of contemporary but this actually goes to some deeper levels, but what surprised me even more was that I really enjoyed it. I felt an instant connection to the characters and I had to know what happened to them.
This is the sort of book that lingers with you. I read about 120 pages to start with then I had to put it down to go out with my parents, the entire time I was out I couldn't stop thinking about this book, I had to know what was going to come next. 
Echo is 18 and about to graduate but over the past year her whole life has changed. Something happened to her, some sort of accident but she doesn't remember it, her mind has repressed the memory. Her whole world changed though, she lost her friends, her boyfriend, her family and her confidence. She is now struggling to make it all right again, to try to get back a feeling of normality. But with a black cloud hanging over her she's not sure normal can ever happen.
Noah has a rep as the 'Bad Boy' caring about no-one and nothing. But he might just be the one to help Echo, and who knows, maybe she is the one to help him too.
This book is primarily a love story, the growing relationship between Echo and Noah is one of the best I have read. None of this 'insta-love' stuff, they have issues, arguments, moments of passion, secrets, truth and a growing sense of trust. This is how a relationship should be built, and you know it's one that's going to last. At least I hope so.
There are some pretty tough subjects handled in this book, lots of different aspects of mental health, child abuse, fostering and adoption, step-families, loss of a loved one etc. It also covers first relationships and has mentions of drugs, alcohol and smoking. But never once did I feel uncomfortable, the book is wonderfully written and everything that happens, happens for a reason and is handled really well. 
I loved Echo's vulnerability but also her strength and courage. She really came alive off the page for me and I found myself rooting for her.
Noah is a total heart-throb who may play the tough guy but really has a heart of gold. I loved the way he wanted to help Echo and all he does for her. So sweet. 
There is a host of awesome characters  in this book and quite a few of them play fairly major parts in the storyline. Katie McGarry has written this so well that you feel like you know all of them within a couple of pages. The book isn't that long and the storyline never slows, you don't get pages describing the people yet I had a clear idea of who they were, where they were coming from and why they did what they did. That is truly skilled writing. 
This really is one of those tragic love stories that just makes your heart thump and fall in love with the book. 
I've just found out that there is a second book to come and I cannot wait for it! It's not told from Echo's point of view, this one will be from 'Beth's' point of view but I can't wait. She was a great character in this book so I know it will be good.
I can see now why there has been a building hype about this book, it's definitely worth it. 
What a great book to kick the year off with! :D

My Rating
 
 

2 comments:

Annette Mills said...

I consider these books my "once in a while" reads. I couldn't read them all the time, but this one was excellent and I really enjoyed it. Great review!

barmybex said...

I know what you mean, I couldn't read them all the time either but great for every so often.
Thanks. :D