Tuesday 29 May 2012

Book Review - World Of The Hunger Games

Title: The World of the Hunger Games
Author: Kate Egan
Publisher: Scholastic
Release Date: 23rd March 2012
ISBN13: 9780545425124

 Synopsis
Welcome to Panem, the world of The Hunger Games. This is the definitive, richly illustrated, full-colour guide to all the districts of Panem, all the participants in The Hunger Games, and the life and home of Katniss Everdeen. A must-have for fans of both the Hunger Games novels and the new Hunger Games film.  




My Review
Anyone who knows me, knows I am a massive Hunger Games fan - we're talking obsession here! So anything to do with HG is going to be devoured by me.
Being broke - I couldn't afford to buy this, plus I didn't know much about it, so I requested it from the library. There was a delay with the order as it only just came in this week and I had totally forgotten about it.
When it arrived I was excited and had a quick flick - and noticed a lot of pictures, but it looked cool so I put it in my bag to take home.
I had 30 minutes spare and had just finished my last book so I picked this up to start, however I managed to get through the whole thing in that time.
This book was a little disappointing, it is basically a summary of the book/film, with pictures from the film throughout and pages of quotes, I mean, it was quite cool to look through but not really anything we hadn't seen before. 
This would be a good refresher if you wanted to read book 2 & 3 but couldn't remember what happened in the first one, but for hard-core fans it's a bit basic. I definitely wouldn't pay the full £10 they are asking for it.  
Also in the synopsis it says "full-colour guide to all the districts of Panem" but apart from District 12 which it talks about a little bit, it mostly glazes over the others, it mentions that there are 12 districts surrounding the capitol and that they all have their own purpose but that's about it, there isn't any more detail than that, it's not really a guide to them at all.
Overall this is a nicely turned out little book with some good pictures and quotes but not really anything special. Proper fans would expect more.
If you are only just getting into the world of the Hunger Games then this would be very good, but otherwise too basic.

My Rating

2 comments:

Arianne said...

I wouldn't have expected anything from that book. It just seems like a collector's item - a book just to say you have it.

barmybex said...

And that's exactly what it was! Just a pride piece. Disappointing.