Wednesday 18 January 2017

Book Review - One

Title: One
Author: Sarah Crossan
Publisher: Bloomsbury Childrens
Release Date: 2 Jun. 2016
ISBN-13: 978-1408827215

Synopsis
Grace and Tippi don't like being stared and sneered at, but they're used to it. They're conjoined twins - united in blood and bone.
What they want is to be looked at in turn, like they truly are two people. They want real friends. And what about love?
But a heart-wrenching decision lies ahead for Tippi and Grace. One that could change their lives more than they ever asked for...
This moving and beautifully crafted novel about identity, sisterhood and love ultimately asks one question: what does it mean to want and have a soulmate?

My Review
I saw this on the shelf at work and was immediately intrigued, i liked the cover design and I have read Sarah Crossan's Breathe series so knew I loved her style. Reading the back of the book I was drawn in, I don't know much about conjoined twins but this sounded interesting. 
I got stuck in quite quickly and found myself unable to put the book down. The book is written in broken sentences and odd snippets but it adds a charm and dramatic feel to the book and within a couple of pages I was reading it as normally as ever, you get into the rhythm. Straight away I wanted to know more about Grace and Tippi and what their lives involved, I laughed with them, cried with them and saw them grow and change as individuals as well as a pair. 
Sarah Crossan has a real gift of writing emotion and making you fall in love with her characters. I felt like I really got to know the girls and I was rooting for their success and happiness. I read the book in one sitting in just a few hours, it sucks you in and won't let you go. 
I  really enjoyed it and wanted so much more, then we hit the ending. I hate to admit it but i was so disappointed with the ending. It's not that it didn't turn out the way I hoped, not every story works out the way you want, that's life, but it just came across as really rushed and I wanted more. I wanted to see the consequences, read the aftermath, know more about what came next. It just seemed rather cut off. Left me feeling really disappointed.

My Rating
     

No comments: