Friday 20 January 2017

Book Review - Carry On

Title: Carry On
Author: Rainbow Rowell
Publisher: Macmillan
Release Date: 25 Feb. 2016
ISBN-13: 978-1447266945

Synopsis
Simon Snow just wants to relax and savour his last year at the Watford School of Magicks, but no one will let him. His girlfriend broke up with him, his best friend is a pest and his mentor keeps trying to hide him away in the mountains where maybe he'll be safe. Simon can't even enjoy the fact that his room-mate and longtime nemesis is missing, because he can't stop worrying about the evil git. Plus there are ghosts. And vampires. And actual evil things trying to shut Simon down. When you're the most powerful magician the world has ever known, you never get to relax and savour anything.
Based on the characters Simon and Baz who featured in Rainbow Rowell's bestselling Fangirl, Carry On is a ghost story, a love story, a mystery and a melodrama. It has just as much kissing and talking as you'd expect from a Rainbow Rowell story - but far, far more monsters.

My Review
I am a fan of Rainbow Rowell so when I saw another release from her I knew I had to read it. However I heard mixed reviews from people and my friend at work told me I might not like it as in a way it is taking the mick out of Harry Potter. Being a massive Potterhead I was apprehensive but I decided to give it a go anyway.
Simon Snow is our 'hero', he is the chosen one, the most powerful wizard of the time but he's not sure who the real enemy is or what he is meant to do. His best friend is a genius but is also rather annoying and his roommate is definitely an evil vampire, who happens to have gone missing over the summer. Simon isn't sure why but Baz's disappearance causes him real concern, little does he know that bigger events will be unfolding. 
I did find it hard to get into and i really had to make myself persevere, there are a lot of parallels with Harry Potter and I found it quite sarcastic and hard to believe. I found Simon himself to be very whiny and rather irritating. The further I got into the book the more i began to enjoy it and I will admit I wanted to know what would happen in the end. It took me quite a while to read though and I was satisfied to finish it but not sure I would want to read it again. I'm glad I read it but it's not my favourite novel by her. Overall just left me feeling a bit deflated. 

My Rating
   
 
 

No comments: