Monday 20 July 2015

Book Review - The Heir

Title: The Heir
Author: Kiera Cass
Series: The Selection (Book 4)
Publisher: Harper Collins Children's Books
Release Date: 7 May 2015
ISBN-13: 978-0007580224

Synopsis
Princess Eadlyn has grown up hearing endless stories about how her mother and father met. Twenty years ago, America Singer entered the Selection and won the heart of Prince Maxon—and they lived happily ever after. Eadlyn has always found their fairy-tale story romantic, but she has no interest in trying to repeat it. If it were up to her, she'd put off marriage for as long as possible.

But a princess's life is never entirely her own, and Eadlyn can't escape her very own Selection—no matter how fervently she protests.

Eadlyn doesn't expect her story to end in romance. But as the competition begins, one entry may just capture Eadlyn's heart, showing her all the possibilities that lie in front of her . . . and proving that finding her own happily ever after isn't as impossible as she's always thought.
 


My Review
The Selection series has become one of my all time favourites, and I was so excited when I saw that there was a new one out. i thought that it was just going to be a trilogy so was so pleased to have more. This book is set quite a few years in the future, Maxon and America are King and Queen with grown up children. Eadlyn, their daughter and first born is next in line for the throne but not entirely sure she wants it, but when trouble starts she agrees to follow her parents plan and start her own Selection process, never believing it could ever work.
I love Eadlyn as a character and she is the perfect mix of America's fiery passion and perseverance and Maxon's sense of duty and witty humour. She is instantly likeable but still has moments where you want to tell her to be less self-obsessed. She can be annoying, but still in a way that makes you realise she is human and i couldn't help but route for her.
I never imagined a Selection with male candidates but it works very well, and gave the series a refreshing feel. It's amazing how different the dynamics are but still so addictive and brilliant. Just like the original Selection, I couldn't decide who i wanted to win Eadlyn's heart and I'm still not sure even now. I think there are about 3 men I would say are good choices but all for very different reasons, and I can't wait for the next book to find out which one Eadlyn picks - if any!
Kiera Cass writes in a way that just sweeps you off your feet and into the pages of her books and I just can't get enough!

My Rating
     

No comments: