Wednesday 6 May 2015

Book Review - Dance of FIre

Title: Dance of Fire
Author: Yelena Black
Series: Dance of Shadows (Book 2)
Publisher: Bloomsbury Childrens
Release Date: 12 Mar. 2015
ISBN-13: 978-1408829981

Synopsis
All dancers dream of the chance to try out for the Royal Court Ballet Company. Only two dancers from the elite New York Ballet Academy will have this honour. Vanessa is one of them. She dances with grace and elegance, and a fury that is unmatched. Justin – strong, sexy and caring – will be her partner. But the thrill of travelling to London for this once-in-a-lifetime competition is shrouded by their past and the demands of an ancient organisation. The Lyric Elite needs them to win the contest and to infiltrate the Royal Court Ballet in order to seek out a dark society of Necrodancers. Vanessa will dance like she has never danced before, but not for them. Vanessa is there to find her missing sister, Margaret, and she won't let anything get in the way of that ... Fierce rivals, dark forces and hidden motives weave together.

My Review
I wasn't sure by the ending of the first book but I wanted to know what happened next, there were too many mysteries still to be solved not to continue so I ordered this book and waited for it to arrive. 
First of all, I have to admit the cover is absolutely stunning, these books certainly do well on the aesthetic view. I had an evening in and no coursework imminent (a rare occassion) so I decided to get stuck into this book. 
Vanessa and Justin have got a place in the Royal Court Ballet competition, but it's not entirely about dance, they have been sent by the 'Lyric Elite' to try and find the rest of the Necrodancers. This featured a lot more in this book and I still had a hard time accepting the whole ballet dancing to raise spirits thing, I was skeptical for a while but actually the more i read, the more I started to believe it and see where the author and characters were coming from. 
There are a number of new characters and they fit in well, I loved her Russian room mate, strong and a bit snotty but caring deep down. The whole Ballet school and competition is well set up and I found myself picturing the halls and practice rooms. As it is set in London, I could picture a lot of the places they visit as I have been there in reality, which made it seem all the more real. 
Justin really grew as a character in this book and I found myself liking him more and more, he is strong and silent but at the same time you know you can trust him.
There are a lot of twists and turns in this book that will keep you guessing throughout, and right to the end of the book you will be trying to figure out who is the bad guy, what really happened to Vanessa's Sister and if they will get back alive.
Overall this book is enjoyable and fast paced, and just as good as the first, but somehow I am still a little bit on the fence about the whole thing, the dance aspect is fabulous and I love that, but the paranormal aspect is still a little far fetched at times. 
This is a series that keeps me intrigued and I would read more if it came out, and I would recommend people try it for themselves. 

My Rating
     

No comments: