Thursday 12 February 2015

Book Review - The Unbelievable Top Secret Diary of Pig

Title: The Unbelievable Top Secret Diary of Pig
Author: Emer Stamp
Series: Pig (Book 1)
Publisher: Scholastic
Release Date: 30 Oct. 2013
ISBN-13: 978-1407136370

Synopsis
Hello. I is Pig. This is my diary. It's super Top Secret, but Duck and me agrees that you needs to read it so you can help us, because we is in a bit of a pickle. I hopes you will be believing what I has written, because Duck says it is UNBELIEVABLE. But it isn't. It's my life. You will see. Love, Pig 



My Review
This is another book on our 'Children's Book Day' list that I have to read for a course at work. I have to admit that when I saw it my heart sunk a little and to be honest it didn't get any better.
Pig has decided to write a diary of his life, not expecting much to happen, but with his best friend Duck, the cows, sheep and evil chickens life on the farm has more to write about than you would think. Then pig discovers what Farmer really wants him for and everything turns around.
I understand that the whole 'Diary' book is popular and whilst I didn't enjoy things like 'Wimpy Kid' I can see why kids would like them and it does get them reading. Which of course I approve of. But this book made me cringe. 
I don't want to be mean or degrade this book or anything like that. Remember everything here is just my opinion, but I honestly did not like this book. Every page is filled with the words 'farts' or 'poo' - of course kids find this funny but there was just too much for me and the grammar is dreadful.
I understand it is supposed to be written by a pig so of course the English won't be perfect but this will just teach kids bad habits. It is aimed at the sort of age range that is very impressionable and therefore this book will just make kids think that this sort of language style is acceptable - they wouldn't realize that this is a marketing/character thing.
It is the sort of book that I can see kids loving, and with the fart jokes in it, boys especially will pick it up, but for me I just couldn't gel with it and I don't think I'll be reading the sequel.   

My Rating
    

No comments: