Thursday 2 October 2014

Book Review - Earthbound

 
Title: Earthbound
Author: Aprilynne Pike
Series: Earthbound (Book 1)
Publisher: Harper Collins Children's Books 
Release Date: 30 July 2013
ISBN-13: 978-0007519484

Synopsis
If love can survive death, are soul-mates eternal?
Eighteen-year-old Tavia is the only survivor of a plane crash that killed her parents. Grieving and lonely, she starts having strange visions; of a boy she's never met but feels compulsively drawn to. A boy who tells her to do things she never dreamed of.
Tavia begins to suspect that secrets are being kept from her, and that her kindly aunt and uncle know more than they are letting on. Was the plane crash really an accident? Or is Tavia part of something bigger than she ever imagined?
With only her instincts and long-time crush, Benson, to rely on, Tavia must decide where her destiny lies, and who with.

My Review
I read Aprilynne's 'Wings' series and really enjoyed it, so was interested to try some of her other work. 
I didn't realise this was the first in a 2 part series (so far) so was shocked by the ending and now waiting to read the next one.
The start of this book is fast paced and throws you right into the heart of the storyline, which was slightly confusing at first but soon makes sense. I liked Tavia inititally and could feel sympathetic towards her and her situation. I was eager to know more.
However the book does then start to slow down and I kept waiting for the action to pick up again. 
As the plot develops it starts to become more paranormal which I usually love, but the book starts as more of a contemporary romance so I was a bit shocked. And to me it just didn't flow very well, something about it felt a little bit disjointed and I found it a little hard to follow.
However, I did still enjoy the book and I want to know what happens to Tavia and especially Benson, I really liked him as a character and although I had my suspicions about him I was still shocked by what happened.
Overall I would say that this book is a little slow in places but not a bad story, if you want a quick easy read this would be perfect.
Hopefully book 2 will answer all the questions I am left with.

My Rating


Average  
 
 
 

No comments: