Sunday 21 September 2014

Book Review - Life After Theft

Title: Life After Theft
Author: Aprilynne Pike
Publisher: Harper Collins Children's Books
Release Date: 27 Feb 2014
ISBN-13: 978-0007515974

Synopsis
Kimberlee Schaffer may be drop-dead gorgeous... but she also dropped dead last year. Now she needs Jeff's Help with her unfinished business, and she is not taking no for an answer.
When she was alive, Kimberlee wasn't just a mean girl; she was also a complete kleptomaniac. So if Jeff wants to avoid being haunted until graduation, he'll have to help her return everything she stole. But Jeff soon discovers it's much easier to steal something than it is to bring it back.


My Review
I am a big fan of Aprilynne Pike - I loved the Wings series (although I still need to read the final book!) So when I saw she had written some other stand alone novels I requested them at the library. I wasn't really sure what to expect from this, it wasn't like anything I would normally read but I decided to give it a go anyway.
I have to say, this is one of the most addictive books I have ever read but I am not sure why. I started to read it and was mildly intrigued but then found that I could not put it down, I spent all evening sitting with it and did nothing else. I almost managed to finish it in that one go but it got too late and I had to put it down before I fell asleep. Then finished it as soon as I could the next day.
Jeff moves to a new state, a new school and a new lifestyle. Used to growing up with little money and a simple life he is now in a Private School, with a nice house and living the high life. BUt he's not exactly pleased about it, and things get worse for him when he discovers that he is the only person who can see the ghost of Kimberlee Schaffer, the most popular girl in school who died the previous year. It turns out she has unfinished business, but as he is the first and only person to be able to see her, he now has to help her so she can 'move on'.
I liked Jeff, he has a great sense of humour and wit and is basically a good guy. Kimberlee is the epitome of the High School Queen Bee, witch with a capital B. Turns out she wasn't the nicest person in the world, girl had some serious issues, so Jeff's job is not going to be easy.
It's written with a fairly relaxed style but in a strange way also with a sense of urgency that makes you want to keep reading. Something about it just makes you have to keep going. It's a fairly simple writing style and the plot isn't overly complex but I really enjoyed it and think it would be a great read for someone wanting a quick enjoyable read with a bit of intrigue.

My Rating
    

No comments: