Monday 9 June 2014

Book Review - Geekhood: Mission Improbable

Title: Geekhood: Mission Improbable
Author: Andy Robb
Series: Geekhood (Book 2)
Publisher: Stripes Publishing
Release Date: 1 April 2013
ISBN-13: 978-1847153647

Synopsis
Archie is a Geek to his core - and despite having a Close Encounter with Sarah at the beginning of term, he's still completely clueless about girls. Enter Clare - an older woman (she's sixteen) who Archie meets on his weekend trip to see his dad and his nightmare step-mum, Jane. Clare and Archie hit it off - and she's got a brilliant, foolproof way to get their crushes to notice them: pretend to be going out with one another! What can possibly go wrong? In the midst of school, getting Sarah to forgive him and dealing with his insane family, Archie and his mates step-up the nerdiness and go Live Action Role-play gaming. Ladies and gentlemen, we are entering a new era...

My Review
I really enjoyed the first book and was looking forward to reading the second one. Archie is a great character and I wanted to disappear into his world of geekiness again, to see what he would come up with next, what strange event would he have to face. 
He is feeling awkward after confessing his love for Sarah and being turned down, how do you face a girl after completely humiliating yourself? His friends have forgiven him for everything and they are back in their world of role play and magic once more, but things have just stepped up- Big Marv has invited the group to go 'LARPing' (Live Action Role Playing) Basically Geek heaven. You dress up as your 'character' and go to a big field and act out an invasion/game with all the other people playing along too, it's the Game - for real! BUt Archie has other things to worry about, his crazy new step-family (both of them- his Dad's fiance and 3 kids, and his mums boyfriend) could life get any more complicated.
Archie really comes to life for me in this book, the more you get to know him the more you have to like him. I realised he's got a great sense of humour and he reminds me so much of people I know. He is really well written, his traits and characteristics are so realistic. 
In fact all of the Geeks grow up a bit in this book and it was nice to see them change and develop. I really liked the integration of Sarah and her friend into the group and how they react to it all. 
The whole LARPing scenario is really well written too and I actually think it sounds pretty cool, sounds like fun. Something I would definitely consider trying one day. Yes that's right I am proudly announcing my own inner Geekiness!!!
A great follow up to the first book but still fresh and fun. I hope there are more in this series one day.

My Rating
    

No comments: