Monday 23 June 2014

Book Review - City of Heavenly Fire

Title: City of Heavenly Fire
Author: Cassandra Clare
Series: The Mortal Instruments (Book 6)
Publisher: Walker
Release Date: 27 May 2014
ISBN-13: 978-1406332933

Synopsis
Sebastian Morgenstern is on the move, systematically turning Shadowhunter against Shadowhunter. Bearing the Infernal Cup, he transforms Shadowhunters into creatures out of nightmare, tearing apart families and lovers as the ranks of his Endarkened army swell.
The embattled Shadowhunters withdraw to Idris - but not even the famed demon towers of Alicante can keep Sebastian at bay. And with the Nephilim trapped in Idris, who will guard the world against demons?
When one of the greatest betrayals the Nephilim have ever known is revealed, Clary, Jace, Isabelle, Simon, and Alec must flee - even if their journey takes them deep into the demon realms, where no Shadowhunter has set foot before, and from which no human being has ever returned...
Love will be sacrificed and lives lost in the terrible battle for the fate of the word in the thrilling final installment of the classic urban fantasy series The Mortal Instruments!


My Review
If you have read my earlier reviews you will know that I nearly gave up on this series, I made it a little way into Book 5 before calling it a day. But then I got home from work one day last week and found a parcel waiting for me - inside was this book, a free copy sent to me by the publishers - Thank you Walker books. I always appreciate a free book but I really wasn't sure about this series anymore and this book is 735 pages long - it's like a brick! But as they had gone to the trouble of sending me this book I decided it was only right that I should give it a go so I got book 5 back from the library and finished it - and surprisingly actually enjoyed it, so I moved onto this book a bit more positively and I have to say - really, truly - Thank you Walker for sending me this, I actually really enjoyed it. I read 550 pages of it in one go and only put it down because I had to go to bed so I wouldn't be a zombie at work the next day!
Sebastian is getting stronger and his army is getting bigger, they cannot be saved, but attack with ruthless indifference. The Clave and Institute are quickly losing members, some are being converted to Sebastians side and others are being killed by those they once called friends. But still no one is entirely sure what he really wants, only that Clary is a big part of it. 
Clary and Jace have fought off so many dangers and troubles but it's still only going to keep getting worse. Jace now has Heavenly Fire running through his veins and struggles to control it - yet another block between them. Once again Simon, Izzy and Alec are pulled along with Clary and Jace on a dangerous mission, but maybe this time they won't all make it back. You can really feel the desperation of the characters and the feelings of hopelessness. It really had me rooting for them, this is the first book that I have really felt properly connected to Jace and Clary, they seemed so much more likeable and awesome in this book, they have really grown as characters and I like the developments. Simon is probably still my favourite character and I love the Izzy developments. They so belong together!
Although the book is 735 pages long it doesn't feel that big when you are reading it, there were a few bits that i think could have been a bit shorter and I skimmed a little bit but there are other bits I wanted to go on longer. I was totally absorbed with it. 
I still can't quite understand how I could dislike the first books so much but love the end this much, the writing style has really grown over the series and it just continued to pull me in.
I am curious enough to try the prequel series - Infernal Devices, so I will be trying those soon. Also quite looking forward to trying the new follow on series coming out next year.
I'm not sure I will ever re-read this series but I am certainly glad I read them all in the end.
This really is a rather epic finale, definitely one you wouldn't want to miss!

My Rating
     

No comments: