Saturday 15 March 2014

Book Review - The Grimm Legacy

Title: The Grimm Legacy
Author: Polly Shulman
Series: Grimm Legacy (book 1)
Publisher: OUP Oxford
Release Date: 6 Sep 2012
ISBN-13: 978-0192793102

Synopsis
Elizabeth's new job is very unusual. The building where she works might not look very interesting but behind this ordinary Manhattan façade lurks a very special place indeed. Because here you can borrow anything your heart desires . . .
And in the basement is something so special, so secret, that Elizabeth can't believe her eyes. The Grimm Collection.
Powerful and mysterious items that must be kept safe and can't be lent out to just anyone. So when these objects start disappearing Elizabeth must investigate. But who can she trust? One way or another she has to find out who is stealing from the Grimm Collection . . . and for what dark purpose.


My Review
I've never heard of Polly Shulman before or of this book, but I was tidying the library shelves a while back and saw this. The cover was the first thing to grab me, it was unusual, busy and really eye catching. I also tend to enjoy things based on old fairytales so I was immediately pulled in by the 'Grimm' reference. I decided to give it a go, it looked like quite a short book and rather interesting so I took it out. 
I have to admit it has then sat in my locker for the past month, but I wanted something fairly light to start of my weekend so I grabbed this and got stuck in. And I have to say I was pleased I had picked it up. The writing is quite easy and teh storyline starts off fairly simple and I have to admit quite slowly but it's intriguing enough to make you want to read more. The more you then get to know Elizabeth and discover the workings of the magical 'library' with her the more into the story you get. After writing a paper for her teacher on the history of the Brothers Grimm, he recommends her for a job at 'The New York Circulating Material Repository' what she finds there is beyond belief, floors and floors of magical items that can be borrowed and checked out by people just like a library. They have everything from shoes to fabrics and clothes, umbrellas, chess boards - the lot, and then down in the Basement something even more amazing and very highly treasured - the Grimm collection, items of note from the famous fairytales. 
This sounds like such a cool place to work and I love that we as readers get to discover it along with Elizabeth, it felt like I was stepping into the library myself and seeing the wonders. Now that really would be an awesome job!!! (I think I would miss the books though)
The book really picks up when you start to learn of the strange goings on, people disappearing, strange creatures lurking outside and one by one magical objects vanishing. Elizabeth and her new friends must try to work out who is taking the precious items and why before all the magic is lost.
At 330 pages this book isn't too long and is a nice quick read, it hooks you in and enchants you within the story. I would say it was aimed at slightly younger teens as the language and storyline are fairly simple, but still awesome enough to keep you hooked.
I would recommend this book to fans of fairytale stories, it's great fun. I really enjoyed it. Have now ordered book 2 in the series, I want to know more about this world. :)

My Rating
 

No comments: