Sunday 23 February 2014

Book Review - Fracture

Title: Fracture
Author: C.J. Daugherty
Series: Night School (book 3)
Publisher: Atom
Release Date: 15 Aug 2013
ISBN-13: 978-0349001715

Synopsis
Cimmeria has been more than a school for Allie, it's been a safe haven. But no longer.

A nefarious group - one that is tied up with Allie's family in ways she could barely imagine - is trying to destroy everything Cimmeria stands for.

Even worse, it's clear that somebody they eat with, sleep with, train with is betraying them. There's a spy in Night School. As the paranoia grows and the fights begin, it's not an attack from outside they need to worry about . . .

My Review
I read book 1 and 2 in this series last year and really enjoyed them, I have been looking out for book 3 since and finally a copy came in at the library for me. 
I couldn't remember exactly what had happened in the previous books but odd bits stuck in my memory and I hoped that when I started reading this one that things would come back to me, and thankfully it did. Quite quickly actually.
Once again we are at Cimmeria with Allie, but things are not as they used to be. After seeing her best friend be killed on school grounds Allie is finding it hard to cope, and when no one seems to be doing anything to find those responsible she starts to break down a little bit. But with a traitor in their midst she doesn't know who she can trust.
I like the fact that these books look and feel magical, but they are actually just a 'normal' school (well in most aspects) there is no paranormal storyline or hidden magic. Just people, but they manage to create their own world and it's exciting. I almost expect something unusual to spring out, maybe a werewolf or something, but it doesn't and when the bad guys do pop out, they are just as menacing and threatening. 
I started this book this morning and had finished by just after lunch, it is so easy to read and so captivating that I didn't want to put it down. The pages just flew by and I was swept up with the storyline.
I like Allie, she is feisty and willing to fight for those she loves, she has great sarcastic humour but can also show a vulnerable side. I really felt for her in places and wanted to see her come through.
The other characters are also really well written and I feel like I know most of them, could happily go and talk to them in the common room. 
The only downside of this book is that they are trying to identify the 'spy/traitor' and after 374 pages you still don't know who it is. It's not revealed, guess you have to wait for the next book to find out for sure. I mean, I have some ideas of who it could be, but I really wanted that to come to light, but it also didn't bother me as much as I thought it would.
I just really want the next part of the book, I read this so quickly it left me feeling like I should have more.
Really easy to read but will keep you hooked and on the edge of your seat. A series you can get carried away with.

My Rating
 
 

No comments: