Sunday 26 January 2014

Book Review - Bitter Blood

Title: Bitter Blood
Author: Rachel Caine
Series: The Morganville Vampires (book 13)
Publisher: Allison & Busby
Release Date: 6 Nov 2012
ISBN-13: 978-0749012809

Synopsis
For years, the human and vampire residents of Morganville, Texas, have managed to co-exist in peace. But now that the threat to the vampires has been defeated, the human residents are learning that the gravest danger they face is the enemy within…
Thanks to the eradication of the parasitic creatures known as the draug, the vampires of Morganville have been freed of their usual constraints. With the vampires indulging their every whim, the town’s human population is determined to hold on to their lives by taking up arms. But college student Claire Danvers isn’t about to take sides, considering she has ties to both the humans and the vampires.
To make matters worse, a television show comes to Morganville looking for ghosts, just as vampire and human politics collide. Now, Claire and her friends have to figure out how to keep the peace without ending up on the nightly news… or worse.


My Review
My goodness the weeks are flying by, I just haven't had much time to read recently and it's no fault of the book, I've just been snowed under. 
So I got out of the groove a little bit with Morganville and in places this started to feel a little bit slow, the plot line of the last couple of books had rounded off and this one started on the next 'chapter' of their story and I wondered where Caine would take it. Don't get me wrong - she does a fabulous job but it feels like she is setting up something bigger to come which means there is a bit more backstory/filling. But when you get to the last third of the book - it all becomes worth it. Talk about explosive endings - my word does she know how to pull you in, shake you up and spit you out again. 
So, things in Morganville have taken a turn for the worse - vampires have regained their freedom to hunt, humans are trying to fight back and Amelie seems to have lost all signs of sense and reason. Could this be a very bloody end to the town? For once Myrnin is the only one that seems to talk sense - scary I know hehe, but can Claire and her friends help him to bring the town back or will this be it for everyone. With a returning enemy and a host of new troubles this book does have it's very exciting moments. 
The longest book in the series so far it still packs a lot in. I actually laughed out loud at this book, and also screamed in frustration when I thought we were going to lose one of my favourite characters - actually make that twice!
I am desperate to get my reading time back, I still love this series and can't wait for the next installment, but at the same time I know I only have 2 books left and I don't want it to be over. ahh conflicting emotions. Rachel Caine has got me completely hooked.

My Rating
     

No comments: