Sunday 21 July 2013

Book Review - Lake of Souls

Title: Lake of Souls
Author: Darren Shan
Series: The Saga of Darren Shan (book 10) 
Publisher: Harper Collins Children's Books
Release Date: 5 Feb 2009 
ISBN-13: 978-0007159192

Synopsis
Darren and Harkat face monstrous obstacles on their desperate quest to the Lake of Souls. Will they survive the savage journey? And what awaits them in the murky waters of the dead? Be careful what you fish for... 





My Review
After the devastating events at the end of book 9 I wasn't sure what to expect from this one. I knew a huge gap would be left by the fallen and I wasn't sure how it would move forward without him. 
But Darren is our storyteller and he manages to spin his tale and make everything work. Although I still deeply missed our fallen comrade. 
This book mainly focuses on Darren and Harkat, it is time for Harkat to discover the truth about his past and journey through barren lands, dark tunnels, big lakes and dragon infested mountains. Possibly the hardest journey they have faced yet, they are on their own and there is no going back until their quest is fulfilled. 
I found parts of this a bit silly and wasn't sure all things were necessary - I really didn't like Spits Abrams, he creeped me out and just made me wonder what he was on!
It also takes you away from the Battle of Scars and the impending Vampire War. It seems a bit strange to move away from that when you are on the edge of a mass battle, but I suppose Shan is saving that for the last book or 2 in the series. And it was a nice change in some ways. I like Harkat as a character and was intrigued by the ending when we disover who he was. I won't give it away but I never expected it.
Looking forward to seeing how the series ends, but will be sad when I have to let it go.

My Rating
      

1 comment:

Unknown said...

it looks ruddy mysterious, and must be a classic one. thanks for sharing! i like it!


Green benefits