Wednesday 24 July 2013

Book Review - Demon Thief

Title: Demon Thief
Author: Darren Shan
Series: The Demonata (Book 2)
Publisher: Harper Collins Children's Books
Release Date: 5th December 2005
ISBN-13: 978-0007193233

Synopsis
Kernel Fleck has always known he's weird. He sees lights. Strange, multi-colored patches of light, swirling through the air. But it's not until a window opens into a demon world, with horrific consequences, that Kernel discovers his powers. As a Disciple, his mission is to hunt vicious, powerful demons to the death... 



My Review
After racing through book 1 I leapt straight into this one, and was confused!!! It seems to have nothing to do with the first book, different character, different area, no apparent link. I was bewildered, and slightly annoyed - I wanted to get back to Grubbs and find out what came next. But I decided to hold on and give Kernel a chance, convinced there would be a link somewhere.
Soon I was absorbed into Kernel's world. He's different from others, he can see colours in the air but doesn't know what it means, until his little brother is stolen by Demons, and then he is thrown into another world and his powers come to light.
I really liked Kernel, he was a little shy at points but really pushy and fiery when he needed to be and he had a good sense of what was right. 
In some ways I think I enjoyed this book more than the first. It wasn't as fast paced but it had more substance to it and more world building, meaning I got into the story easier. And the characters were more interesting to me.
It turns out that this is a sort of prequel to the first book, it had me wondering for a while if I had read them in the wrong order. But it works to set up some information about the demons and Lord Loss that will be useful later and also tells you more about Dervish's past which I found interesting. 
There were still some gory scenes in this one, but it wasn't as bad as the first book, but still be cautioned. 

My Rating
    

2 comments:

Stuffed Shelves said...

Darren Shan is an awesome writer. I don't see many people reading his work. Great review, thanks for sharing!

barmybex said...

He really is, but seems to have faded from the scene a bit.
Thanks. :D