Tuesday 19 February 2013

Book Review - Harken

Title: Harken
Author: Kaleb Nation
Series: Harken (book 1)
Publisher: Kaleb Nation
Release Date: 9 Jan 2013
ASIN: B00AZDIRQG

Synopsis
After surviving an assassination attempt, teenager Michael Asher discovers that he is at the center of a worldwide conspiracy reaching higher than any earthly power. A supernatural organization desperately wants him dead. He doesn't know why. Everyone who might have the answers has already been killed.

Tumbling into a web of international secrets, Michael is forced to fight back and dig up the truth. He begins to question how much of the world is truly as people are led to believe it is. Are there things that humanity is not being told? Who is the puppet master? And how far into the maze can he venture before he is lost forever?


My Review
I saw a lot about this book online before it's release, hints, trails, youtube videos, sneak peaks - it was all very intriguing. I signed up to the newsletter and read the news about it but didn't really get too involved. The release came and sort of passed me by. Then my favourite youtube reviewer 'CassJayTuck' did a review of it and she was raving about it.
I tend to have similar tastes to her and after seeing her excitement I knew I wanted to try and get a copy. Well something in the universe was obviously listening to me because a couple of days later I got an email from Kaleb saying that because I had signed up to the newsletters and registered my blog with his promotion list would I like to review the book for him - Bonus! I of courrse said yes and downloaded it as soon as I could.
I started it yesterday I think and was immediately hooked, the story doesn't hang about you start reading and then BAM! You are pulled into the world with no chance of escape. I read at least half of it in one go and then when I had to put it down I found myself thinking about it. I finished it in my lunch break at work today and didn't want it to end.
Meet Michael Asher, our protagonist. Michael has a special gift he calls the 'Glimpse' he can see the 'truth' in people's eyesights, but when he is almost killed in an assassination attempt he discovers a world much deeper and realises he is right in the centre of it. 
Meet Thad and Callista, his two companions. They've been through a lot and know it's not going to be over soon. 
Running from enemies they don't really know and helped by an anonymous stranger they get pulled deeper and deeper into the paranormal world, where nothing is as it seemed. 
This book really is heart racing exciting and totally gripping. I hadn't actually ever heard of Kaleb before this book but I will definitely be looking him up for more of his work. Brilliant. 
The plot was well structured and really lead you through the story, nothing felt like it had been put in for the sake of it, each paragraph, sentence, word had a meaning and a purpose. And it was structured in a way that kept you glued to the page, interested and allowed you to get into the world and in with the characters, they became real on the page. I could totally picture them and the places too. I really was pulled into the world.
I can now totally understand the hype that has been surrounding this book, it so deserves it. 
If you haven't already I strongly recommend you check this book out. 

My Rating
           

No comments: