Tuesday 19 February 2013

Book Review - Aversion

Title: Aversion
Author: Kenechi Udogu
Series: The Mentalist (book 1)
Publisher: CreateSpace
Release Date: 29 Jan 2013
ASIN: B00AH1A638

Synopsis
For Gemma Green’s first time, things should have been straightforward. Find your subject, hold their gaze and push a thought into their head to save them from future disaster – Aversion complete. A pretty simple process given that the subject was to have no recollection of the experience. But Russ Tanner doesn’t seem to want to forget. In fact the more she tries to avoid him, the more he pushes to get to know her. Gemma knows she has a problem but is she facing the side effects of a failed Aversion or has the school’s tennis champ really fallen for her?

My Review
I read 'The Other Slipper' by this author and really enjoyed it so when she offered me a copy of this book I gratefully accepted. At only 131 pages it's a short read, I got home from work early today and had a short time before I had to go out again so I decided to start this book as I thought I had just enough time to read it.
I couldn't remember what the book was about so I just sat and started to read. I've done that a few times and I actually quite like it. Without reading a synopsis first you have no preconceptions about the book and it just gives you a clear start into it. 
Straight away you are drawn into the book, the first line is simple but effective:  " My name is Gemma Green and I am an Averter." Straight away I was intrigued. What is an 'Averter' and why is it important. It made me want to know more and from that I was hooked. 
Gemma is a cool character, not your average teenage girl Gemma has been brought up very differently from others her age. Forget hanging out with friends or worrying about boys, she's in training, just waiting for her powers to come into action, then when they do her first attempt at completing an 'Aversion' is with Russ, one of High School's most popular and attractive boys. Gemma knows she can't be distracted, she must change his mind and save his life from a disaster, but something seems to go wrong, and  suddenly the two of them are drawn to each other. 
I loved Gemma's seemingly aloof attitude to life and then seeing the insights into her life, the insecurities and questions about what her life is really about. 
Russ is sweet, for a school jock he is actually very sensitive, caring and understanding. Thrust into a world of madness he stays calm and is very accepting. 
For such a short story there is quite a lot packed in which makes it a fast paced read, it's a great start to the series and sets up the world well, including the danger, enemies, mystery and hints at what is to come. The story carries you through and delivers you to a satisfying ending - for now! I was surprised by how much I enjoyed it, but I really shouldn't have been - I think I've found a treasure in Kenechi, definitely an author to look out for!

My Rating

No comments: