Wednesday 27 February 2013

Book Promo - Monster Mirror

-->
Monster Mirror blurb:

A plan to keep evil from spilling out into the world is tested…
In a world where terrifying creatures roam the night, all seventeen-year-old Mia wants is a quiet summer in safe, supernatural-free Cape Livingston. After a wrong turn into an unknown area, she learns the Cape isn’t as predictable as expected.
Mia must protect herself from the paranormal world ready to destroy her life by using everything she’s learned from the horror movies she watches.
Will her training be enough to tip the scale in her favor? Will her choice between the boy she loves or the boy determined to deliver her as a Swap be the right one? Is her future with the Monster Mirror inevitable?


Monster Mirror excerpt:

I live in a world filled with paranormal creatures. They showed up almost twenty years ago. That’s when the Reveal happened.
Hollywood stopped making new horror films when the real things showed up, so I catch my supernatural education from the net’s streaming movies. “Mia,” my mom used to say a lifetime ago, “stop with all the scary movies already. Switch to rom-coms.” No way. Maybe all this interest in the supernatural was premonition and preparation for me.


Interview

Where do you do most of your writing? Do you have a special spot?
Most of my writing is done at my desktop computer in a room where I can lock the door. This is really important in my house as the second I sit down to write, everyone (including the dog) seems to need immediate attention and have questions that only I can answer. Okay. I guess I’m hiding, right?

Favorite TV shows?  
I like the whole spectrum! When it comes to comedy, I adore The Big Bang Theory. The writing and actors are fantastic. Plus, am I the only one who finds Sheldon kinda hot? On the complete opposite side, The Walking Dead is one of my favorite dramas. I love the characters, action, emotions, and the show moves so fast, you can barely catch your breath. Right in the middle, The Vampire Diaries is a must-see for me. Probably because I want to be Elena.

Can you tell us a bit more about your book and how it came about?
I love to read paranormal stories, and the concept of Monster Mirror just came to me. There’s a strong female character, two boys that vie for her attention, and story that’s revealed layer by layer. Some of my beta readers told me the evolution of the story was amazing.

When you write, do you plan the storyline or just go with the flow and see where it takes you? Plotter or Panster?
I plot for the most part, but leave enough room to let the characters take me where they want to go. Sometimes we go to the strangest, most unexpected places. Monster Mirror started off in a little lighter in tone, but the final story ended up a bit darker than I’d anticipated. Which is all good, since dealing with life and death can be dark.

Are any of your characters based on people you know?
Not really. Although the issues are universal: love, hate, loyalty, fear. Just about everyone can relate to Mia, my main character in Monster Mirror.

Do you listen to music when you write?
I like it quiet with no distractions. But when I listen to music, I create my own little video in my head, starring the characters in scenes from Monster Mirror.

No comments: