Saturday 13 October 2012

Book Review - Emerald Star

Title: Emerald Star
Author: Jacqueline Wilson
Series: Hetty Feather (book 3)
Publisher: Doubleday Childrens
Release Date: 27 September 2012
ISBN-13: 978-0857531056

Synopsis
Hetty Feather has seen her fair share of adventure, excitement - and tragedy. Following the death of her beloved mama, Hetty is alone in the world once more. She sets off on her greatest challenge yet - the search for her father.

But Hetty fears she'll never truly belong anywhere. Even when she is reunited with her childhood sweetheart, Jem, Hetty still longs for adventure - especially when an enchanting figure from her past makes an unexpected reappearance. Could a more exciting future lie ahead for Hetty? Could she cast aside the foundling name she has always hated, and become the brave, bold, bright EMERALD STAR?

My Review
I know I am a bit old for Jacqueline Wilson now, but she was such a big part of my childhood that I can't resist. I don't read every new book by her anymore, but earlier this year I read 'Hetty Feather' after a friend recommended it and I really liked the character and her story. I went on to read book 2 'Sapphire Battersea' and loved how much she changed and grew up that I had to know what would happen to little Hetty next, so I eagerly awaited this book.I put in a request at the library (joining a rather long list) my copy came in yesterday and I started it this morning. I had finished it by lunch time.
It's 420 pages but the print is quite bis and there are some illustrations at the start of every chapter. 
Although it is aimed at children I was surprised by how sophisticated the story was and how well written it was. Jacqueline Wilson certainly won't talk down to her readers!
Hetty Feather has gone to find her father, with just the name 'Bobby' to go on and a rough idea of a town, she isn't exactly sure what she will find, if she can find anything. Jem also makes a re-appearance, but Hetty has always been restless and it's time she chose where she really wants to be.
I suppose I should be calling her Emerald as that is who she wants to be, but for me and a lot of the characters she remains our dear little Hetty. Although she is now almost 15 she is still small and slight, but she has grown up and shows her true potential when needed. I actually see quite a bit of myself in her, serious and useful when needed but hyper, upbeat and unable to settle at other times. She has a real spark of life to her that is really refreshing. 
I really felt myself travel through with Hetty, the writing swept me away and I swear I was almost hiking down those trails and running through the hills by her side. I desperately wanted everything to work out for her and I loved when she got excited or something good happened.
This book does deal with some issues such as step families, death, illness and war (briefly- her foundling brother is sent away to fight) Most of Jacqueline WIlson's book deal with an 'issue' of some kind. But this story didn't feel like anything was being shoved down your throat, it was merely something that happened to the character and brought a new turn to the story.
I really enjoyed reading this book and it brought back fond memories of my childhood.
I think it's good every now and then to visit old favourites, whether it's a book you read as a child or an author you enjoyed. Can really lift you up again.

My Rating
    

No comments: