Sunday 26 August 2012

Book Review - Fang

Title: Fang
Author: James Patterson
Series: Maximum Ride (book 6)
Publisher: Arrow (Young)
Release Date: 4 Feb 2010
ISBN-13: 978-0099543756

Synopsis
Being a kid with wings--constantly on the run--has never been easy, and Max and her flock are getting tenser than ever. First, on a trip to Africa, they meet a mysterious billionaire whose intense scrutiny of the Flock makes her fear the worst. Then, a cryptic message from a young girl arrives, warning them "The sky will fall." And as if an impending apocalypse weren't bad enough, canny birdkid Angel makes a dire prophecy about Max's soul mate: Fang will be the first to die. Max's desperate desire to protect Fang brings the two closer than ever. But can the team weather the storm, or will the turmoil rip them apart for the last time?

My Review
So Max (book 5) lifted my spirits a little bit and I remembered that when I read Fang all those years ago that I loved it, I remember I cried and laughed and so actually felt quite hopeful going into this one.
For me these books feel like they've just gone off course a little bit, the first 2 or even 3 were all about this group flying kids constantly on the run, kicking butt and given the mission of saving the world from some great disaster/danger, bow they tend to focus more on who is in a bad mood, who will be the next to fly of, who wants to betray them or exploit them next. From TV shows to Government officials to Evil Geniuses.
It's more like a teen drama than a kick ass paranormal/fantasy/ thriller. There were of course moments of excitement as they all get attacked again and towards the end there is a real breath-taking moment, that made me stop a bit and be like 'oh no', but there is still a sort of underlying certainty that it will all work out. 
Max has become a lot more whiney and is doing the whole 'conflicted hormonal teen'. Angel is like a one track record 'I want to lead, I want to lead,' Get over yourself girl! for goodness sake you are 7 and you don't know everything.
Gazzy and Iggy seem to get more immature and dangerous as the books go on and I don't know if it's because I'm not a teenager anymore and I am obviously not a boy, but their behavior just seems immature to me. Grow up!
The only one I actually still like is Nudge and I kind of hope she steps up and becomes more prominant in the next couple of books.
Fang of course is one of the main focuses of this book and he has opened up through the last couple of books but I think I preferred him as the strong silent type.
The plot line does have a sense of order and sense to it but also seems quite slow and almost formulaic. Like 'it's been 3 chapters since someone attacked put in battle scene.' "It's been at least 10 pages since the last explosion have Iggy and Gazzy start to make somethin." "It's been 5 seconds since Angel fought for control, lets add that in next." and so on. I just feel like the books are being a bit overdone. 
But then for some reason I can't stop reading, they are actually quite addictive and seeing as they are only short (300 pages ish) I am reading 2 a day, so it's not too bad. 

My Rating
 

No comments: