Thursday 10 May 2012

Book Review - Chitty Chitty Bang Bang Flies Again

Title: Chitty Chitty Bang Bang Flies Again
Author: Frank Cottrell Boyce
Publisher: Macmillan Children's Books
Release Date: 13th March 2012
ISBN13: 9780763659578

Synopsis
When the Tooting family find a vast abandoned engine and fit it to their old camper van, they have no idea of the adventure that lies ahead. The engine used to belong to an extraordinary magical flying car – and it wants to get back on the road again... fast! The Tootings can tug the steering wheel and pull the handbrake as hard as they like, but their camper van now has a mind of her own. It's not long before they’re hurtling along on a turbocharged chase as Chitty tracks down her long-lost bodywork. But there are sinister forces at work too. When it comes to a car as special as Chitty everybody wants a piece of her...  


My Review
I have never seen, watched or read the original Chitty Chitty Bang Bang, I've seen the odd tv clip and song played but not enough to really know what it is about. And to be honest I've never been that bothered to find out.
However, I got sent a Proof copy of this book from my librarian and I knew straight away that I would read it, purely because it is by Frank Cottrell Boyce - the man is a genius and I love his work so I couldn't resist.
This is aimed at the sort of 9+ age, and you can tell it's written in an easy, free style to make it nice and easy. This didn't bother me, in fact it meant I read it quite quickly. There were a few occasions when I shook my head and thought 'ridiculous!' but that is part of the fun.
Mr Tooting loses his job but decides this is an opportunity for life, realising they can't afford to fly around the world on holidays, Mrs Tooting brings home an old camper van for them to repair so they can have the odd holiday. What they don't realise is that things can change easily. When they stop at a scrap yard to buy Spark plugs they find an old super power engine and decide to install it. Turns out it's like the heart of Chitty and the van takes on a life of it's own. Adventure, madness and mayhem follow,
I like Boyce's quick humour and ability to make even the most ridiculous situation seem funny. The book reads easily and the pace is excellent, you won't want to put it down. I can see children laughing out loud, I certainly was in places. 
It's fun, quick, easy and full to bursting with adventure. The car takes on a life of it's own and pulls you in.
Parents get ready to laugh along with your children!

My Rating

No comments: