Tuesday 10 April 2012

Book Review - Gregor & The Code of Claw

Title: Gregor & The Code of Claw
Author: Suzanne Collins
Series: The Underland Chronicles (book 5) 
Publisher: Cartwheel Books
Release Date: 9 Aug 2009 (this edition)
ISBN-13: 978-0439791441

Synopsis
Everyone in the Underland has been taking great pains to keep The Prophecy of Time from Gregor. Gregor knows it must say something awful but he never imagined just how awful: It calls for the warrior's death. Now, with an army of rats approaching, and his mom and sister still in Regalia, Gregor the warrior must gather up his courage to help defend Regalia and get his family home safely. The entire existence of the Underland is in Gregor's hands, and time is running out. There is a code to be cracked, a mysterious new princess, Gregor's burgeoning dark side, and a war to end all wars.

My Review
I have got through this series so quickly it's unbelievable and I'm actually quite sad it's over, I got full immersed in the world and don't really want to leave it yet.
This book is the last one in the series and my word does it go out with a bang. Everything comes together for one last war and not everyone will survive.
Gregor finds out that the last prophecy left declares that 'the warrior' must die. He knows it is referring to him and there is no way he can get out of it. If he doesn't fight the whole of Underland could be destroyed.
I love Gregor in this book, when faced with looming death he doesn't back down and run, he steps up and acts like a hero. Of course he has his moments of panic and doubt and temptation to run but he is loyal and courageous. It just felt so real and I had to admire him.
There are so many twists in this book, Luxa and Gregor, Solevet in charge, Lizzie in Underland, just so much to keep you hooked into the pages.
I love how this book all comes together and everytime I thought i had come to a conclusion as to what would happen/what the prophecy meant, something would happen and I would have to rethink.
The rats develop a secret code to transfer messages and I really loved seeing how everyone would figure it out, and there were bits in the book that were written in the code, they were mostly then translated below, but I had fun trying to do it myself with the explained code. I lvoe that sort of thing.
Boots is still one of my favourite characters and she is growing into a proper little heroin before our eyes.
There is literally so much action in this book I could not put it down, I had to know what would happen, not just to Gregor but to the whole of Underland. 
The ending isn't completely conclusive but it is a hopeful ending that hints at the future and I was actually quite satisfied with it. There was something in my head that I wanted to happen that didn't but it was a good ending nevertheless.
This series deserves a lot more attention than it currently gets, I have thoroughly enjoyed it.

My Rating
 

2 comments:

Ella :) said...

Hi! I adore you're blog, and wanted to let you know that I nominated you for the Versatile Bloggers Award! Please check out the post I did about this at http://everythingaboutella.blogspot.co.uk/2012/04/versatile-blogger-award.html
Thanks!xxx
PS. I would love it if you could follow my blog and love it like I love yours! Thanks xxx

barmybex said...

Hi Ella, thank you so much, that's very sweet of you. I'll head back to your blog now!
:D