Saturday 7 January 2012

Book Review - Alice In Verse: The Lost Rhymes of Wonderland

Title: Alice In Verse: The Lost Rhymes of Wonderland
Author: J.T Holden
Publisher: Candleshoe Books
Release Date: 11 Feb 2011
ISBN-13: 978-0982508992

Synopsis
Lewis Carroll's timeless classic is reimagined through the lyrical language of Wonderland...where familiar faces and new twists abound!





My Review
I don't tend to read much poetry, I've never really had a taste for it, I either don't understand what the meaning behind it is or I find it hard to read, but I was approached by the author with the offer to read and review this book and I had to say yes. Why? you may ask, because it's Alice of course. I have always been a fan of Alice In Wonderland and Lewis Carroll is one of the few people's who poetry I enjoy - I even recited some from his books at an English Event at school.
This book is lovely to hold, the cover is beautiful and the book just feels so smooth and nice, when you open it up you are greeted with beautiful illustrations and fantastic adaptations.
I found these new versions captivating, I was once again taken back into Wonderland, the writing flows extremely well and I could get a rhythm into the poem making it very easy to read. 
I read this all in one go as I didn't want to put it down. My favourites were 'The Walrus & The Carpenter Head Back' and 'The Bottle & The Biscuit Box', but they were all fantastic.
A very enjoyable read, especially if you are a fan of the Alice world to begin with.


My Rating

2 comments:

Mimi Valentine said...

Oh my gosh, I absolutely LOVE the sound of this book!! Alice in Wonderland is one of my favourite books too and the whole idea of this book sounds like one I'd love! (I'm actually kind of a poetry junkie LOL!)

Awesome review, Becky! I'm so happy you loved this one even though poetry isn't your thing -- it makes me even more excited to read this! :)

barmybex said...

Alice In Wonderland has always been one of my favs - seems like it is for a lot of people.
You should definitely check it out, I think you would love it!
Thanks for stopping by. :D