Monday 21 November 2011

Book Review - Voices of Dragons

Title: Voices of Dragons
Author: Carrie Vaughn
Publisher: Harper Teen
Release Date: 15 Feb 2011
ISBN-13: 978-0061547904

Synopsis
On one side of the border lies the modern world: the internet, homecoming dances, cell phones. On the other side dwell the ancient monsters who spark humanity's deepest fears: dragons.
Seventeen-year-old Kay Wyatt knows she's breaking the law by rock climbing near the border, but she'd rather have an adventure than follow the rules. When the dragon Artegal unexpectedly saves her life, the rules are abruptly shattered, and a secret friendship grows between them.
But suspicion and terror are the legacy of human and dragon interactions, and the fragile truce that has maintained peace between the species is unraveling. As tensions mount and battles begin, Kay and Artegal are caught in the middle. Can their friendship change the course of a war? 



My Review
A colleague of mine gave me this book back in May and told me I would enjoy it, I gratefully accepted it and put it to one side and promptly forgot about it.  I renewed it so many times at the library and even had to dig it out when someone else requested it. I didn't want to give up on it so I requested it back after but still didn't read it. I checked by books on Saturday and realised this had another request on it plus it was a week late back (as staff I don't get fines but I do get told off) so I decided enough was enough and I was just going to sit down and read it. So I brushed everything else off yesterday and picked this book up. 
I can't believe it took me so long to get around to reading, it was so good, my colleague was totally right, i really did enjoy it.
Kay loves Hiking and the freedom it offers, breaking all the rules one day she goes hiking on the border - the land that separates population from the dragons. When she almost falls she gets saved by a young dragon and finds out he can talk. A friendship blossoms, but not everyone will be happy with the pairing and then the trouble starts.
This book is set in the modern world - phones, cars, internet etc all appear but it also has the old feel on the dragons side. When the two worlds collide it makes for an interesting read.
I loved Kay as a character, strong willed and a bit rash at times but caring and sweet too. The dragon Artegal is my favourite, had me wishing I could meet him, and ride him- soaring through the air. Artegal is just fabulous.
The storyline sounded like it would be confusing and hard to do but Vaughn does it really well and it makes perfect sense, I was in it immediately.
It took me about half a day to read and I really did enjoy it. 
This is Vaughns first YA novel and I love her writing style. I will be trying to get hold of some of her other books.
 

No comments: