Saturday 12 November 2011

Book Review - Destined

Title: Destined
Author: P.C & Kristin Cast
Series: House of Night (book 9)
Publisher: Atom
Release Date: 25 Oct 2011
ISBN-13: 978-1905654871

Synopsis
In Destined, the forces of Light and Dark collide as their epic struggle focuses on Tulsa's House of Night. Zoey is home where she belongs, safe with her Guardian Warrior, Stark, by her side and preparing to face off against Neferet. Kalona has released his hold on Rephaim, and, through Nyx's gift of a human form, he and Stevie Rae are finally able to be together if Rephaim can truly walk the path of the Goddess and stay free of his father's shadow.

But is Zoey really safe? Does she truly know those who are closest to her? And will love win when it is tested by the very soul of Darkness? 



My Review
I know this series is like Marmite - you either love it or hate it. I am one of the ones that love it! 'Marked' (book 1) was the first vampire book I ever read and got me into this genre. So I will always have a fondness for them.
Destined is book 9 and with each one I read I get pulled further into the world. 
It has been a while since I read the last book and so it took me some time to get into this one as I had to try to remember what happened, but their are lines and clues put in to remind you of key events and soon I was fully there, right where I had last left them. 
Things keep getting more exciting as you go and there are so many twists I didn't expect.
Stevie-Rae is still my favourite - she is so sweet and she has great one liners and random sayings that make me laugh.
Aphrodite is just as sassy and feisty and I love her insults. Neferet is getting darker and she makes my skin crawl but she's one of those villains you love to hate. I'm never quite sure what she will do next or how far she will go.
The plot is well thought out and the pace flows well, I read this quite quickly - this book has more character development in, you learn a lot more and see them grow both as a group and as individuals.
There is a new character called 'Aurox' who is supposed to be a servant of Neferet. There is supposed to be a great mystery of who and what he really is, and I liked a lot of his scenes and his affinity to Zoey, but the great revelation behind his origins wasn't much of a surprise to me, I figured it out almost straight away and was just waiting for Zoey to catch up with me. Maybe I'm just too clever (lol) or maybe it was supposed to be obvious. I don't know, but when Zoey did finally catch up I was like 'about time, what took you so long!'
Overall I really enjoyed the book and am intrigued to see what will happen next, the ending of this one was quite exciting, I felt tears welling up a bit and I also laughed. Hope it's not too long before the next one.
I will say although I don't have a problem with swearing in books if it fits in with the situation, but there are quite a lot of uses in this book and I don't believe they are all necessary, got a bit annoying. but that's the only real problem I had with it.


My Rating
I would give this book 9/10. Awesome, can't wait for the next one.

No comments: