Monday 10 October 2011

Book Review - Son Of Neptune

Heroes of Olympus: The Son of NeptuneTitle: Son Of Neptune
Author: Rick Riordan
Series: Heroes Of Olympus
Publisher: Puffin
Release Date: 4 Oct 2011
ISBN-13: 978-0141335711

Synopsis
This crazy messed up world of gods and monsters is Percy Jackson's reality, which pretty much sucks for him.

Percy Jackson, son of Poseidon, God of the Sea, has woken from a very deep sleep and come face to face with two snake-haired ladies who refuse to die.

But they're the least of his problems. Because Percy finds himself at a camp for half-bloods, which doesn't ring any bells for him. There's just one name he remembers from his past. Annabeth.

Only one thing is certain - Percy's questing days aren't over. He and fellow demigods Frank and Hazel must face the most important quest of all: the Prophecy of Seven.If they fail, it's not just their camp at risk. Percy's old life, the gods, and the entire world might be destroyed . . .

My Review
I love the world of Percy Jackson and could not wait to get my hands on this book. It's been a while since I read the others so my memory was a bit hazy, but this was perfect. Percy wakes with no memory at all other than his name, he must discover who he is whilst saving the Gods of Olympus once more. This meant there were lots of useful hints about his past which got me back into his world.
There is a whole new camp - Camp Jupiter and therefore a whole new look at the myths - this time from the 'Roman' perspective. Thi salso introduces us to two new characters - Frank and Hazel.
There is quite a lot of back story which slows the pace of the story down a lot, but it is interesting and adds more dimension to the characters. Just be prepared for some slow patches.
This book gets very exciting about half way through, once they have set out on their quest and once more I found myself fully immersed in the story and couldn't stop, I had to find out what would happen.
It ends on a bit of a cliffhanger -you know there is much more to come.
For all Percy Jackson fans - this is a must read. For those who haven't read any - start at the beginning now!

My Rating
I would give this book 9.5/10. Amazing read. Love the myths

2 comments:

Celeste said...

I am really looking forward to reading this book. Thanks for the review, now I'm even more excited!

barmybex said...

no problem. Glad you're looking forward to it.
I love these books!