Sunday 7 August 2011

Book Review - Shimmer

Title: Shimmer
Author: Alyson Noel
Series: Riley Bloom (book 2)
Publisher: Macmillan Children's Books
Release Date: 15th March 2011
ISBN: 9780330530385

Synopsis
Having solved the matter of the Radiant Boy, Riley, Buttercup, and Bodhi are enjoying a well-deserved vacation. When Riley comes across a young ghost named Rebecca, Riley soon learns Rebecca's not at all what she sees. The daughter of a former plantation owner, she is furious about being murdered during a slave revolt in 1733. Mired in her own anger, Rebecca is keeping the ghosts who died along with her trapped in their worst memories. Can Riley help Rebecca without losing herself to her own nightmarish memories? 


My Review
As you may know I am a fan of Alyson Noel and so couldn't resist getting a copy of her newest book. Having finished the 'Immortals' series I was eager to get back into the her writing and so grabbed Riley Bloom. I liked Riley in 'Evermore' and enjoyed book 1 'Radiance' in this series. 
Riley is 12 (eternally) she died in a car crash with her parents and after hanging around the earth plane for a while with Ever, she moved on. Now in the 'here and now' she has a job. She is a 'Soul-catcher'. Her job is to persuade other ghosts and spirits to move on.
In book 1 she tackled a group of ghosts that no one else could handle. Now she is basking in her glow (literally - ghosts glow when they complete a goal - do something good). Sent for a short vacation with her spirit guide Bodhi they head for the beach, but whilst there Riley meets a young girl named Rebecca. Rebecca is also a ghost, and although she may looked sweet and innocent, she packs one hell of a punch. She has some ghostly skills that test Riley's determination, strength and courage.
Again I loved the original idea of this and was curious as to how it would all turn out.
Bodhi is again his cautious self, and the pair still seem to fight about everything. But I love his reasoning and determination.
Riley is quite stubborn and quick to judge, but you see her develop as a character and mature a bit in this book. Although still blatantly disregarding the rules, she does things for the best.
Rebecca sent chills down my spine and her world of anger sounded like something from my worse nightmares! I could picture it all, the good and bad. These books will literally take you to another world.
This book is quite short at only 176 pages so was great for a lazy Sunday morning read. I'm looking forward to book three. 


My Rating
I would give this book 8/10 a lovely, captivating quick read.

4 comments:

Cait said...

Great review! I got this for review recently and I haven't read the first book but I think I will give this one a go

The Cait Files

P.E. said...

I think this series is cute. I just read Radiance this morning and I like Riley's spunk. I'm glad you liked Shimmer! I need to go get it. Thanks for the review.

barmybex said...

Hope you enjoy them Cait.

P.E - she's a great character. :D
Hope you can get a copy. It's on sale at Amazon - something like half price at the moment.at least it is in the UK. :D

Alexis @ Reflections of a Bookaholic said...

This sounds different and fantastic.