Monday 15 August 2011

Book Review - 6X

Title: 6X - The Uncensored Confessions
Author: Nina Malkin
Series: 6X (book 1)
Publisher: Hodder Children's Books
Release Date: 2 Mar 2006
ISBN-13: 978-0340911501

Synopsis
Sex. Fame. Rock 'n' Roll.
Four kids on the fast track to pop-rock superstardom reveal the uncensored truth about the glamorous, backstabbing world of sudden celebrity.
Introducing...
The Voice: Sweet, trusting Kendall sings like an angel--and is about to discover her devilish side.
The Body: Rich, spoiled Wynn can't keep a beat to save her life. But with curves like that...who cares?
The Boss: No-nonsense Stella is all confidence, attitude, style, and smarts. But her relationship with the band's manager makes her more vulnerable than she thinks.
The Boy: A/B has got real talent. Now if only he can keep his mind on the music...instead of on the girls.
6X: Idolize THIS! 



My Review
I was told this book was excellent by one of the teenagers that comes to our library book group. She told me I had to read it, so I took a copy. That was about a year ago! It has sat in my locker for ages, but I finally decided to get it out and give it a go.
6X is told from 4 perspectives. It is the story of a band and their rise to fame. You have 'The Body' - Wynn, a spoilt rich girl with a body most girls would kill for. But it doesn't go to her head, she is actually quite quiet and reserved, until she picks up her drumsticks that is then she can rock it out. 
Then it's 'The Voice' - Kendall, a nice Christian girl, strict up bringing but the voice of an angel, not used to rock star living, but willing to adapt. Quiet and a bit chubby but mostly happy with who she is. 
The it's 'The Boss' - Stella, a sassy black girl who knows what life is all about. You've got to work for what you want and not take no as an answer. She is fierce so watch out.
Then lastly 'The Boy' - A/B the only natural musician, gone through many bands with no success but taking off now mixed with the girls, if only he could keep his mind on the music.
The book is split so each character has a chapter, they take it in turns and it's written in first person. It is supposed to be that they are doing a video diary of their journey to stardom. You have to remember who is narrating each chapter but I found that quite easy (it does tell you at the start of each chapter) and the characters are so different personality wise that you can keep track quite well.
I liked Stella best - she is so upfront and no nonsense. The sort of person that will turn to you and say 'stop moaning, get on with it!' which I have been known to do. It's no insensitive just practical!
Kendall is the most surprising and changes the most throughout the book. 
I didn't think I was going to enjoy this book, but I ended up really hooked. It is a great idea and really works. It's quite an easy read, I read it in about 3 hours. It really does read like they are talking to you so makes it flow better and read quicker. 
I m curious about book 2 but this one does come to a fairly good end so I'm desperate to get the next one. 
This book is great as a beach / lazy summer read. Witty and funny in places, it deals with al sorts of things but doesn't shove it in your face, you've got body image, first love, sex, friendship, trust, loyalty, family issues. But it is all dealt with honestly and just as part of the plot, like a normal life story. Because it has a couple of references to sex I would recommend for over 15's but there isn't anything graphic so I wouldn't worry too much. 


My Rating
I would give this book 8/10. A nice chilled out summer read.

No comments: