Sunday 8 May 2011

Book Review - Wild (Illusions)

Title: Wild (Illusions)
Author: Aprilynne Pike
Series: Wings (book 3)
Publisher: Harper Collins Children's Books
Release Date: 28 April 2011
ISBN-13: 978-0007314386

Synopsis
On the first day of Laurel’s senior year there are two new arrivals. Tamani — the electrifying faerie with whom she shares an undeniable connection — appears, posing as a foreign exchange student. And even more disturbing is another foreign exchange student named Yuki whom Laurel quickly realises is a faerie, though the new girl doesn’t seem to have any idea who or what she really is.
Laurel is determined to figure out how Yuki fits into the picture, and what connection she may have to the ever-increasing threats to her family and Avalon. Meanwhile, Laurel struggles to maintain a balance between her human boyfriend David and Tamani, with whom she shares a passionate past. But balancing two worlds is becoming more and more complicated. When the threat to Avalon grows ever stronger, Laurel’s illusion of control of the situation shatters and she must confront a danger even greater than the trolls.

My Review
First of all I have to say I am in love with this cover, everyone in the series is beautiful and they look fantastic on my shelves. Gorgeous. I absolutely loved book 1 (Wings) and book 2 (Spells) and couldn't wait to get my hands on this one. This book has also been released as 'Illusions', 'Wild' is the UK version. 
Laurel is now in her senior year, happy with David and thinking of the future, trying to decide whether to go to college or back to Avalon. On the first day, she gets a shock when Tamani walks in as a transfer student, there could only be one reason for him to be here and it means trouble is close. Realizing life is about to get much more complicated, Laurel tries to balance her 'normal' life with her faerie life. There is another new student, a young girl called Yuki, but something doesn't seem right about her, is she in with the trolls, is she a faerie or is she just a nice girl who's got an eye out for Tamani.
This book really moves the characters on and brings a new focus in. There is quite a lot of focus on the love triangle between Laurel, David and Tamani, but I didn't find it irritating. There is real emotional depth from Laurel and if I was her I would struggle to choose too, but I have to admit I am Team Tamani all the way, he makes my heart melt. 
I loved the new character of Yuki, she is mysterious and enticing, yet sweet and innocent too. At times I was sure I had figured out why she was there, only to change my mind a few minutes later, I decided fairly firmly on what she was fairly early on, and was right at the end but I could never decide why she was there, I'm still not sure about this as the story doesn't actually finish at the end of the book, it reaches a great climax then ends. Can't wait for the next one now. I have to admit I find endings that like quite annoying, it feels like I've journeyed with the characters through all those pages only to end up with another twist and no conclusion, but I suppose it ensures we come back.
The storyline was good and I liked the twist with the trolls, they seemed so much more menacing again, I won't give anything away here but it was exciting.
The writing as ever flowed really well and I read this is one sitting, Pike really has a way with words and spins them into something amazing.
This is one of my top Faerie series, love the idea of all the faeries being plants and their wings being blossoms/flowers. So beautiful.
can't wait for more. :D


My Rating
I would give this book 8.5/10. A great book with many twists and turns. Fairy Tales at their best! Wish it had more of a definite conclusion though.

5 comments:

Lark Andrea said...

I have this on my TBR list. I have enjoyed the other books in the series. Great review.

Andrea @ Reading Lark

Cory K said...

I love these covers! Great review. Don't be a stranger fellow follower. Stop by and say hi :D

Looking forward to hearing back from you,
Cory @ Anti-Drug Reads

P.E. said...

The UK cover is interesting though I think I like the US one better. I'm not excited to hear that about the ending... but since you rated it okay, I'm not too worried. Endings either make or break books for me, so I hope I like this one.

Nina B. said...

I have not read any books from Ms. Pike yet, but I have seen Wings and it does look like it's going to be a good read. Nice review!

And thanks for the welcome back :D

Brush Up On Your Reading

barmybex said...

Thanks to all for stopping by.

P.E - I have to say I actually prefer the UK covers hehe, strange how preferences differ. Don't be too put off by the ending, you should still read it.

Nina B- YOu should try them, they are so good. Glad to have you back. :D