Friday 27 May 2011

Book Review - Invincible

Title: Invincible
Author: Sherrilyn Kenyon
Series: Chronicles of Nick (book 2)
Publisher: ATOM
Release Date: 29 Mar 2011
ISBN-13: 978-1907410239

Synopsis
When teenager Nick Gautier was saved from almost-certain death by a mysterious warrior, he had a feeling his life was set to change. Fighting the undead has taken the place of fighting with his teachers (well ...almost) and Nick is learning to rely on his powers to protect the world from evil he could never before have imagined. Then, just when he thought things couldn't get any worse, he wakes up to find himself enslaved in a world of shapeshifters and demons out to claim his soul. He's being groomed by the darkest of powers and if he doesn't learn how to raise the dead by the end of the week, he will become one of them ... 


My Review
I read book one last year and wasn't instantly hooked, the story was ok but not gripping, but it did leave me with enough curiosity to read book 2.
I couldn't remember everything that happened in book 1, but this one does reference back to events so I felt that I was easily back into the world.
Nick survived the zombie attack with nothing more than a few bruises, scratches and a tough telling off from his mum, but he knows nothing will be the same again, not with an employer who is a vampire and a demon bodyguard, not to mention all other varieties of creatures and demons turning up. But he was hoping for at least one days peace, so not going ot happen, when the school employs a new coach Nick is thrown into a terrible plot. The coach is not all he seems and Nick has to figure out what he wants and try to stop him.
I felt this book was better than the first and I was more into it, but there were still times where I would get bored or fed up and put it down to do something else, but then I would come back to it (I hate giving up on books) and I would get into it. 
I felt Nick was a bit whiny in this book, a lot of 'why me', 'what next' etc but he did step up. Kody is stronger and more prominent in this book and it was great to see another side of her. Simi makes flitting appearances and always brings a laugh.
The book was overall well written and the idea was good but I still didn't feel hooked. Maybe it's just me, fans of the Dark Hunter series may love it as they know more about the story. I didn't feel as lost with this one as the first, felt it revealed more about the background, and the characters. 
It was enticing enough that I would read the next book in the series, but I'm not desperate for it. Left me with mild curiosity. Although the revelation at the end of this book, I figured out when the character appeared in book one, so it wasn't that much of a shock to me.
I am so on the fence with this book, part of me really liked it, the other part of me was disappointed with it. 


My Rating
I would give this book 7.5/10. A good idea for a storyline, but I felt like the spark was missing. Fans will probably love it, I'm just not there yet.

No comments: