Monday 2 May 2011

Book Review - Bite Club

Title: Bite Club
Author: Rachel Caine
Series: Morganville Vampires (book 10)
Publisher: Allison & Busby
Release Date: 2nd May 2011
ISBN-13: 978-0749008093

Synopsis
Morganville, Texas is a quiet college town where humans and vampires live in relative peace. But lately a great deal of blood is being spilled - not in a feeding frenzy, but for someone's twisted idea of entertainment. After discovering that vampires populate Morganville - and surviving a number of adventures with her new night-dwelling friends - college student Claire Danvers has come to realise that for the most part, the undead just want to live their lives. But someone else wants them to get ready to rumble. There's a new extreme sport being broadcast over the Internet: bare-knuckle fights pitting captured vampires against one another - or, worse, against humans. Tracking the out-of-town signal leads Claire - accompanied by a loyal group of friends and frenemies - to discover that what started as an online brawl will soon threaten everyone in Morganville. And if they want to survive, they'll have to do a lot more than fight... 

My Review
I knew this book was due out, but when I saw it in the book shop I let out the worlds loudest most excited squeal and grabbed it. With strange looks from the shop assistants and my friend who had never been book shopping with me before, I knew I was attracting attention. I clutched this book to my chest, did a happy little jump then rushed to the tills with it. No lie, I really was that embarrassing in public, but what's life if you can't get excited over books!!!
Anyway, I have followed this series closely since my friend introduced me to them last year. I went to an author talk and signing (Rachel Caine is very cool and very nice) and so every time I hear a new book is coming out I can't wait.
Claire and her friends Eve, Michael and Boy Friend Shane have survived a lot in Morganville, but the trouble never seems to be over. In this book a new gym opens in Morganville, promising the civilians the chance to learn how to fight vampires and win, but when Shane starts acting strange and becoming very angry even towards Claire, she knows something is up and that she has to put it right. As usual this goes much further than just her relationship, the very existence of the town is once again at threat, and once more Claire and her friends must step in and act the hero. 
As ever the book is fantastically written and the plot is full of exciting twists and turns. I picked this up to read this morning and finished it tonight. Was so good. When I had to put it down to go out with my parents, my fingers were itching for it and I was still stuck in the story, couldn't wait to get back home to it.
All the usual characters feature, and can i say for the record 'I <3 Myrnin', he is so cool and funny, he has been my favourite throughout and never disappoints. I really want some Vampire Bunny Slippers lol. Claire is a good strong female lead and I love her 'go get them' attitude. Eve is sassy and feisty and Michael would be the perfect guy if he wasn't a Vamp. We definitely see a darker side to Shane, but can see the internal struggle he has to face and I really felt for him.
There are some shock return characters and some new additions. Although it's been a while since I read the others in a series, I felt instantly back into the world and almost like I was back with friends.
I really enjoy these books, they are vastly becoming one of my favourite series, certainly seem to be my favourite Vampire series. I also love the fact that Rachel Caine puts a track list in the back of the book of songs she listened to whilst writing. I have got some great music from her. 

My Rating
I would give this book 10/10, the series is going strong and I'm still loving it, a great storyline with many twists and turns. Great characters and laugh out loud moments.   

3 comments:

Celeste said...

I can't wait to read this one. I've been reading the series for a couple of years now. I love Myrnin too. He is my favorite!

ElementalUnity said...

This isn't the cover I got for Bite Club... is this the ARC one? or is it over seas?

barmybex said...

Go Myrnin :D

This is the UK cover. I love the covers over here, they are all similar to this one, they look great on my shelves.