Saturday 29 January 2011

Book Review - I Am Number Four

Title: I Am Number Four
Author: Pittacus Lore
Publisher: Michael Joseph
ISBN-13: 978-0718156473

Synopsis
John Smith is not your average teenager. He regularly moves from small town to small town. He changes his name and identity. He does not put down roots. He cannot tell anyone who or what he really is. If he stops moving those who hunt him will find and kill him. But you can’t run forever. So when he stops in Paradise, Ohio, John decides to try and settle down. To fit in. And for the first time he makes some real friends. People he cares about – and who care about him. Never in John’s short life has there been space for friendship, or even love. But it’s just a matter of time before John’s secret is revealed. He was once one of nine. Three of them have been killed. John is Number Four. He knows that he is next . . . 

My Review
When i first heard about this book I really wasn't that interested, nine aliens on earth being killed by other aliens, yeah right, but then the hype around the book grew and the film was announced. I saw the trailer and thought it looked pretty good, but if a film is based on a book I always have to read it before i can see it. Therefore when I received an ARC copy I was really pleased. I had to put it on hold to finish something else first, but as soon as I could I grabbed it, and I am so glad I did. Whilst reading i sometimes forgot John was an 'Alien' and it didn't seem strange, I came to really like him as a character and was cheering for him throughout the book. I love Henri - who is John's guardian, a great father figure and teacher and a very deep character.
Although set on earth, you hear about the other two planets, 'Lorien' where the nine came from and Mogadoria, where the beast like monsters that are hunting them came from. Lorien really came to life for me, you get a history of their planet mixed in with the story and it feels real, and i can sort of see why Henri wants to go back one day.
The story is really well written and flows easily of the page, it is exciting, moving, breath-taking and adventurous. I was literally on the edge of my seat whilst reading this and had me lauhging out loud, gasping, and even crying a bit too.
I would definitely recommend this book, it is one of the best books I have read recently.
It is obviously set for a sequel and I can't wait for more.
I'm looking forward to seeing the film even more now, but as I've enjoyed the book so much I may be disappointed, oh well, I'll have to wait and see! ;D


My Rating
I would give this book 9.5/10, exceptional read, grab a copy now, read it before you see it.

4 comments:

curlypow said...

Thanks for stopping by the Paperback Princesses - sorry if my review was weird - something odd going on with blogger - corrected now I hope. I think you liked this more than I did, altho' I did enjoy it. Well have to trade opinions on the movie!

Marrion said...

I'll be your 100th Follower!hehehe... Anyway, I am very intrigued what I Am Number Four's original cover looked like and it is kind of simple but it is nice cover though! Happy Reading! ^^

You can visit my blog anytime!
Palm Books Journal

La Toya said...

Oh wow, I am really looking forward to this book!! Thanks for the awesome review :)

barmybex said...

Thanks to all of you for stopping by, LazyGirl, thanks for the really nice comment, hope you can get your hands on a copy and enjoy it as much as i did. :D