Saturday 27 November 2010

Book Review - Harry Potter & The Deathly Hallows (Re-Read)

Synopsis
Harry has been burdened with a dark, dangerous and seemingly impossible task: that of locating and destroying Voldemort's remaining Horcruxes. Never has Harry felt so alone, or faced a future so full of shadows. But Harry must somehow find within himself the strength to complete the task he has been given. He must leave the warmth, safety and companionship of The Burrow and follow without fear or hesitation the inexorable path laid out for him.
 
If you haven't read it yet, where have you been? but this review may contain some spoilers, i'll try hard not to, but it may be inevitable. 
 
My Review
As a major Harry Potter fan i have of course read this book numerous times, but as the release of the film was coming out, i wanted to refresh my memory. Unfortunately I only got about a third of the way through it before i saw the film, but decided to finish reading it because, well it's an excellent story and i can't stop once i've started. Anyway, i'm here to talk about the book not the film.
Harry knows he must find the remaining Horcruxes and destroy them before he can defeat He who must not be Named once and for all. Hermione and ron go with him journeying around England trying to find the missing objects. This book is very gripping and  i love the excitement, even though i have read it before, it still captures my imagination and i feel like i am journeying with them. I still cried at the deaths in the book and i laughed at the jokes. I really like how the characters grow in this book, Ron seems to mature more than the others and his blossoming relationship with Hermione is great and very often funny.  Neville has quickly become one of my favourite characters and really becomes a true hero, it was inside him all along and i'm glad Rowling gives him such a part to play. I salute you Neville!
The battle of Hogwarts is incredible, but I wish she hadn't killed three of my favourite characters, but i can see why it's necessary, and anyway so many of the others survive i suppose we should count ourselves lucky.
In many ways i wish there was more to the end of the book, i like the epilogue 'Nineteen Years later' but I want more, it tells you who the main characters end up with, and you know what Neville does for a job, but she doesn't tell you what Harry, Ron, Hermione or Ginny do, only that they have kids. I love the names of Harry's kids and think he would be a great dad, but I want to know more about his life and how he got to where he is in those nineteen years. But I suppose a lot of people felt that way, lets hope Rowling decides to do more from the Wizarding world. 
Overall, this is one of the most exciting books in the series, it's not my favourite, that will always be Prisoner of Azkaban, but it comes close.


My Rating
I would give this book 9.5/10, truly fantastic and I know I will come back to it again, will never get tired of it!

No comments: