Saturday 25 September 2010

Book Review - The Hunger Games: Catching Fire

Synopsis

After winning the brutal Hunger Games, Katniss Everdeen returns to her district, hoping for a peaceful future. But Katniss starts to hear rumours of a deadly rebellion against the Capitol. A rebellion that she and Peeta have helped to create. As Katniss and Peeta are forced to visit the districts on the Capitol's cruel Victory Tour, the stakes are higher than ever. Unless Katniss and Peeta can convince the world that they are still lost in their love for each other, the consequences will be horrifying... The terrifying sequel to The Hunger Games. 


**This may contain spoilers**
My Review
After finishing book the first book, I couldn't wait to get my hands on this one. I got home from work today, thinking i would read for a couple of hours then put my laptop on. However after sitting down for 4 hours, i had finished the entire book. once  I had started I couldn't pull myself away, it was too compelling. 
After winning the Hunger Games with Peeta and returning home, Katniss hoped for a quiet life, however the Capitol is in uproar, there is news of an uprising beginning to spread and threaten authority. Threatened by this, the Mayor visits Katniss and demands she makes it better or there will be dire consequences. But trying to do the right thing without upsetting anyone, whilst trying to protect those you love is never easy. In this book it is the  75th annual Hunger Games, and rules state that every 25 years there will be special circumstances. Now, when this was announced I could see what would happen straight away, and knew I wouldn't like it, but I couldn't stop reading it. And yes i was right. As the twist this year, all the contestants would be made up from former champions, so Peeta and Katniss return to the Games! the competition would be harder, everyone knows how to win and are ruthless, even with allies, how do you know how to trust. I found myself trying to second guess everyone's intentions and think I became as wary as Katniss herself. LOL
This book in many ways frustrated me, the plot again is dark and more than a little disturbing so that at times I didn't want to carry on, but found that I couldn't stop. I had to know what was going to happen, and now i've finished it my hands are itching for the next one. 
I would like to see more of Gale and Prim as they are featured in this story but not nearly enough, they are more background characters than people you can really relate to.
Collins writing style hooks you in and won't let you go. I can still definitely see why these books are so popular. I can't get enough!

My Rating
I would give this book 9/10, another fantastic book, definitely worth a read, and i find myself reaching towards it again whilst I wait for book 3, Go on, find a copy, you won't be disappointed. :D

3 comments: